Learning with practice

The progress of my theme is decent. I have been learning how to work with Git and SVN more and more. I did recently have a little conversation with @ipstenu on Twitter about learning version control. Yes, I am still learning how to harness the power of simple commits and getting the hang of how to use branches and tags.

Which brought me to my main point: tutorials.

People on the web have dozens and dozens of them. Some are better than others and some are just beyond outdated. I was looking for a tutorial on how version control works using SVN. You would think I would find at least five. No. I found links talking about how SVN works but no real tutorial.

@ipstenu asked me if I could find one noob friendly tutorial. Of course I couldn’t. True, there wasn’t one. Yet. I have been contemplating creating a simple tutorial on how to use TortoiseSVN in a local setup. Sounds simple, right? Yes and no. The writing is a simple thing but taking all those screenshots to go with that will be a task in itself. I know I’m capable of it I just now have to find the time. Keeping in mind that even my current knowledge is not that great but it should suffice for the time being.

One of the first things that I learned was ‘commit’ so of course that will be the first topic. Next in line is ‘branches’ and ‘tags. and how they work. That is one thing I still haven’t yet mastered through a GUI. Just takes me back to when I was in Junior High and learning about computers but that is another story.

Yes, tutorials have helped me understand certain things but often times I don’t really learn unless I put forth the effort. Learning by practice is a great method and a great way for me and others to learn as well. I just hope that I can get my tutorial written out so that people understand. Although this has given me an idea for a future post: translation.

One more week

Earlier today when I got home from work I did my usual routine of updating to the most current development version of WordPress, made sure all other applications were up to date and opened up my code editor (Notepad++) to view and edit my theme files. Since I was wide awake I tried my hand at experimenting with Git and TortoiseGit on my main computer. One thing leads to another and I managed to delete my theme. I hadn’t made the last commit of adding my modified gallery shortcode.

Needless to say I am kicking myself pretty hard. What this means now is that I am starting over with a new repo but still with SVN and not Git. Git will be for my next project theme. The reason I am starting over is because I deleted the working copy and didn’t realize that I hadn’t added all the files and hadn’t made all the commits I needed to be in sync.

In about one week WordPress 3.5 will be launching and I am pretty stoked about it. The reason is because the way media is uploaded has improved. I feel this is a huge step in the right direction for WordPress development and adoption. People want to be able to share not only their stories but some want to share photos, videos and sometimes audio. The uploader is fairly easy to use and the user interface is elegantly designed.

But enough drooling about what is to come more about what I was trying to get across: patience. I have plenty of it and sometimes I feel I have too much of it. In one week I will make an attempt to rebuild all the code I lost and have it all finished by the time 3.5 launches. This should be manageable since I know what files I need this time after having tested file hierarchy with my previously deleted theme.

Today I created all the empty files and committed that to the repository so I can code away and make the final commits when I am satisfied with the code; that way I won’t have so many commits and a lot versions to go through down the line if I ever have to see why I did what I did.

Theme progress – good

Slowly but surely my blog’s is coming together. The one thing I am now attempting to do is work out a gallery system. While I do like the Twenty Twelve’s way of presenting the image gallery I want something a little different. The way the Twenty Twelve handles the images is by linking to a page. I don’t want that on mine. Part of that reason is because I won’t be having very many images that are bigger than 800 pixels wide.

What that really entails is that a person with a computer screen of about 13 inches will be seeing more photo than they bargained for. I don’t want to do that. Especially if a person is using a mobile device. That means that image would be the only thing that they see. That is a big no bueno for accessibility. Having to scroll side to side to view an entire image on a mobile device decreases the user experience in my book.

What I have so far is the single, comments, index, search form, sidebar, content, header, and footer pages completed. I still have to work on the functions, tweaks, custom template tags, page and post formats code pages. The one that I know will give my some issues will be the gallery.

I am slowly learning how to code that because the built-in gallery shortcode is not HTML valid. It outputs a element even when there is no caption for the image. What I have to do is one of two options: filter the gallery or remove the gallery shortcode and use my own. For the time being I think I will just have to settle for filtering the gallery output to get the desired result. Not that big of a deal; at least I’ll learn on the way.

The one thing I still have to finish, oddly enough, is the images that I will be using. I’m not sure if I will use individual files or just one since I do want to be able to support HiDPI down the road but that is another subject for another time. Right now I still have a few functions to declare and a few more things to code.