Re-installing things

The other day I installed Fedora 34 on my laptop so that meant having to redo all the things I had already done. The biggest change was that I didn’t install Steam or Docker. I may need to do that down the line again but for now it’s not really needed. Steam is not really a priority since I use my Windows 10 machine for that instead and my laptop is mostly for random projects I really want to learn from.

I did, however, have to re-install my Vim and powerline as well; I did also install tmux because I wanted to learn something new and a little different to me. The one thing I did want to venture more into was customizing the look of the terminal’s prompt and that’s where powerline comes into play here. It is nice knowing that I’m able to do that with a few files but I do want to be doing my own take on it. I was able to find a good start point and how that works as well from a tutorial I found. The cool part being is that it is fairly straight-forward to follow. It’s something even I could do.

The reason I’m posting about it is because I want to keep the momentum going in my motivation in doing more code related things. When I saw that it was dealing with Python code my little heart lit up and did a super happy dance. This was one thing I really wanted to do for some time so this will really be handy.

Now, the other reason I wanted to write this out was because I wanted to document one thing I did come across. When I installed tmux all the things were fine. Tried it out and had some fun learning some of the commands. Once I did that I went ahead and installed that on my work laptop. This was where things went a little wacky.

It was fun trying to troubleshoot my own screw up here.

Really. It was.

What ended up happening was when I updated and installed tmux (using brew) it had updated all the installed packages as well. The strange part being it had removed one which was actually needed for the yubikey I use for work. Yeah, not entirely sure why or how that really happened but it did. The other thing I noticed was that it broke my powerline installation since it was pointing to an older version of Python now. The funny part being that I forgot that I had originally installed powerline using pip3 so I kept getting an error because I kept forgetting the 3 at the end of the command.

Yep.

It really was that simple to fix. Just adding a 3 to the command when I went to re-install powerline on my work laptop.

I’m definitely looking forward to making a more customized terminal prompt with some Python code. Now if I could only find a way to create time for all the other things I want to work on that would be great.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You are limited to 500 words

If you do not see your comment in the next 24 hours, please email jose[at]josemcastaneda[dot]com